How To Rename a Flash Drive on Mac – Two Methods
Let me guide you through step-by-step instructions on how to rename a flash drive on my Mac.
The first method is a simple method where you highlight the default name of the flash drive and then type the name you want to give it. Here is how you do it:
- Plug in the flash drive into the USB port of the Mac.
- Allow the computer device to recognize the storage drive and pop up the icon.
- Locate the memory card on the desktop of your Mac computer.
- Click on its icon.
- Allow the drive to get highlighted.
- When you see a highlighted drive, press Enter/Return key on your keyboard.
- The default name of the drive transforms into a text box.
- Type within the text box whichever name you want to give to that flash drive of yours.
This is an extremely simple method and is used similarly in the case of Windows and Mac. Whereas, it might not work in some cases, so, instead of asking yourself "Why can’t I rename a flash drive on Mac?" you should opt for another method, and follow these steps.
If the first method doesn’t work for you somehow, you can always rename your flash drive this way:
- Plug in the USB drive in the USB port of the Mac.
- Wait until the computer detects the storage device, and the icon for the flash drive pops up.
- Make a right-click on the icon of the flash drive or press the command key along with clicking on the icon of the flash drive.
- Open the drop-down menu.
- Select ‘Get Info’ from the drop-down menu.
- Now select ‘Name and Extension’, by clicking on the triangle given next to this option.
- Now you will see a Name block.
- Type the new name by clicking on the name block.
- To finalize the new name, press ‘Enter’ or ‘Tab’.
Finally, the new name given to your memory card or flash drive, is now permanent, even when you plug it in a different computer. Go through these easy steps and learn how to rename a flash drive on a Mac.